Friday 18 September 2009

Stop Moaning, you're going to stay poor.

I have written and re-written this blog four times now. I just could not begin to even start to come up with a topic that sticks. Until last night that is.


Im getting really pissed off with listening to people bitching about the Derren Brown Events, and I'm pretty sure I know why.


The series began with an amazing piece of Television trickery. Derren Brown "predicted" the lottery numbers live on TV. It was an amazing "how the fuck did that happen" piece of work with a promise to explain how it was done the following Friday. The country tuned in, many of whom i would guess had never seen a Derren Brown show before and we're watching to see how to make their millions. Thats where the problems lay.

They all tuned in to see how they could make their millions, seemingly forgetting that if it was that simple, everyone in the country would be able to win, therefore making the lottery pointless. It was an entertaining show with cutaways to tricks such the kife/cup etc, with a funny part at the end about he *would* have infiltrated camelot.


At 10pm sharp, the moaning started.


"The Wisdom of crowds thing is bollocks, thats not how he did it"


OF COURSE ITS NOT YOU MISERABLE FUCKTARDS! THATS NOT THE POINT.


David Copperfield has made a living out of saying "I can fly, because I'm Magic, Its the Magic Within me" and no one questions it. We all know he cant fly. No one with that big a head would be able to without mechanical intervention, but he doesnt get people moaning on about him being a fraud.


The deep seated reason why people got pissed off with the Lottery broadcast is that Derren didnt turn around and give the audience a button that said "lottery win" so they couldnt get rich. Simple As.


Last nights offering of controling the nation was excellent, and more in tune with the live shows he does. The P.W.A tricks were amazingly excecuted with my personal favourite being Frank the Giraffe. I did spot a couple of the suggestions because on the win/lose game and the green chair one, mainly i was looking out for them but it was a great and diverting hour of TV.


Then the headline act, sticking to the chair. I didnt personally get particularly stuck, but know a few who did. I feet very very heavy around my arms, knees so it was more of an effort to get up, but possible.


Anyway, to conclude. If you dont like the suggestion, PWA, and ultimately unique kind of magic that he does, Strictly come dancing is on BBC1. Those who, like me, enjoy and are facinated by, psychological magic, next weeks looks awesome.

3 comments:

  1. I got stuck, for about a minute until I relaxed myself and "thought through it". Awesome stuff!

    Personally I think the lottery "how I could have fixed it" seems like a very real possibility, which provides a great "well I wouldn't reveal it, if it were true" alibi.

    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it came to the lottery show it was a case of "tune in and i'll show you how I did it" - when he didn't really do it himself... did he?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My recording ended before a critical part of the show and I'm still stuck to the chair. Think I could get it from C4OD or something? :-D

    ReplyDelete